15 October 2010

I Am Not An Individual

its all for them

Its been damn near forever since I've written a post, school and work has really been taking up A LOT of my time! But I am gonna try to do better....

This post was inspired by a discussion that I had in Prof. Ogutu's Urban Sociology class. We were talking about the difference between society in Africa and in other parts of the Global South ( Asia, Latin America, Middle East) and Western countries (Europe and America) and I realized that I am less American than I would like to think. In America the predominant (white) culture is very individualistic. At 18 you are a grown adult who can make your own decisions with consequences that only effect you. Americans pull themselves up by their own bootstraps and go out into the world making their own path based upon their wants and needs. Americans are individuals with individual successes and accomplishments.

I personally think that this is no way to live. In class my professor said something that really struck me, he said, "Americans live as individuals Africans are not individuals we are family and community units." When I do something or don't do something I don't only think about the consequences that will effect me but my family and community as well. I don't think that I have ever made a big decision with out consulting my mom or aunt, and I ask them about many of the little decisions too. I would never ever consider living somewhere for a long period of time if I didn't know anyone because I prefer to live in areas where I will be close to my family. My mom will always keep a room in the house for me until I get married and I would never, ever consider putting my parents in a nursing home. In every thing that I do and every decision that I make I consider my family and my community.

I was brought up to believe that everything that I do in the public eye reflects my family and my community. One bad apple ruins the whole cart and I will not be that bad apple. I believe that this prevalence of so called Global South culture is what makes people of color so resilient and loving. Making my community happy and my family happy makes me happy and I believe that it makes the world a better place.  I don't want to be a grown woman who makes all of her own decisions by her self, I want to be a strong family unit who relies on the knowledge of others and who considers everyone that may be affected by the decisions made.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting.I would agree that the individualistic view point pertains to American culture. BUT truth is, alot of folks will 'help their own.' even though they expect their child to be independent by 18, the American child still has privilege when they go find a job e.g. the old boys network.

    i support the mindset that u should live with your family and community in mind.

    ReplyDelete